Friday, August 9, 2019

“Forced to sleep under open sky due to local toughies”

My name is Jeera Devi, aged 33 and wife of Mahendra. I have two sons and a daughter. I am a native of village Ganeshpur under Chakia police station, Chandauli district. We worked as stone breaking and crushing labour for livelihood. Since, this incident occurred to our family, we are forced to leave our native place. Our locality is surrounded by people of the Bind community, who are influential.

On March 22, 2019, I was sleeping in my shanty, while my husband was asleep in another charpoy. Around 10 pm, local toughies Kallu Bind, son of late Baghe Bind, and Jitendra Bind, son of unknown, entered my house and started pulling off my sari. I woke up immediately and shouted. My husband also got awake and resisted their attempt. However, they pulled my husband outside with his hair and brutally assaulted him. He started to bleed from the mouth, nose and ears. I began to yell frantically. Soon my husband fainted. When the miscreants were leaving, they warned me not to report the incident to anyone else we would be eliminated.

My husband was in a very bad condition and bleeding profusely. I panicked. There was no one I could have turned to since it was a Bind dominated locality. I wailed and wept the entire night worrying for my husband.

In the morning, I went to the village head for help. However, he tersely told me to do whatever I liked but that he could not assist me in any manner. That day, I felt all alone without any support. Somehow, I took him to a private hospital, where he was given primary treatment. Due to excessive bleeding, he could not walk. Later, we took him to a government hospital, where he was discharged after being given glucose.

With some determination, I took him to the police station and laid him down on the floor. However, a woman constable got infuriated thinking he was lying drunk. I told her that my husband was in pain and could not sit. I narrated the incident to cops and gave them the application for the filing of the case. I was asked to leave saying 2 constables would visit my place, but none turned up.

That night, the condition of my husband deteriorated and we took him to another private hospital. However, they said if we had come after a fight then we should just go away. While, we were not getting any help, the accused were keeping our track.


Then, we had to come to our maternal place in village Marfa under Chunar police station in Mirzapur district. We are now forced to sleep under the open sky now and suffer in silence.

On April 7, 2019, two aides of the accused came on motorcycle and told me that there was rumour in our village that my husband had died, and that they had just come to confirm the news. Now, I am worried that they can harm our family any day. We are not able to sleep due to anxiety and have lost all peace of mind.

No FIR has been lodged against them and there is imminent danger to our lives from the accused. We want that the perpetrators of this crime are booked and taken to task for their deeds. We want security and justice.

Interviewer      Farhat Shaba Khanam
Victim             Jeera Devi