Friday, August 9, 2019

“When asked about the progress of my case, the police official advised me to keep ‘sleeping’ and that cops would awake me”

My name is Jitendra Kumar, aged 44 years. My father is a fauzdar. I am a native of village Khargasipur under Kerakat police station in Jaunpur district.


I belong to the Chamar caste and eke out a living by selling vegetables and repairing bicycle tyre puncture. I have four school going children namely Amit (14), Sumit 11, Ajit 8 and Anshika 6.


On February 1, 2019, I was out selling vegetables, when my distraught sounding wife told me to return home fast, since one Ashish Singh and his accomplices had brutally assaulted Amit. I dashed off to my place and saw my child lying disoriented. Somehow, I collected my composure and took him to the police station. I told the circle officer (CO) about the incident and gave him a written complaint. He told me to come the next morning for any action. I returned home around 11 in the night.

I took my son to a private hospital. He wailed all night writhing in pain. We all grieved and didn’t eat that day. We were only reflecting that our child had committed the mistake of asking for the wages and that there is still no redress for the poor.


The next morning I again went to the police station, but the CO only tried to strike a compromise. The opposite party was also forcing a compromise upon us and that the matter gets resolved at the police station itself. I was livid that when the miscreants did not show mercy to my innocent child, then how could they expect our forgiveness. When my father tried to talk to them, he was also issued life threats. We did not concede to the compromise offer. Our FIR was lodged late evening and the medical test was conducted on my son.


The probe progressed well for a week. The CO enquired about the incident from the local people, but later we were not apprised of the development. One day, I went to the CO’s office and asked cops present there about the progress in my matter. A police official told me to remain sleeping and that they would wake me up themselves. I could not comprehend their words and came back.


Now, I am petrified each moment and do not like to go anywhere. When I go for work, I worry for my family back home. Ashish Singh still issues threats of prospectively harming us and every other day, his aides come to us asking for a compromise if we want to live safely. They also harass me by calling up my mobile phone. They have made my life hell. I fear for the safety of my family.

 I am a daily wage labour and somehow bringing up my family and educating children. Now, the kids are petrified to go out. I try to reason with them that things would be fine, but they are not convinced. I am worried that fear psychosis would impede their growth.


I want that those who mercilessly beat up my child for seeking his Rs 10 wage should be punished. My family should be provided security and justice.



Interviewer      Farhat Shaba

Victim             Jitendra Kumar 

Translated by Mr. Ashish Awasthi