Friday, August 9, 2019

We had always helped other people and we had not caused any harm to anybody to deserve this

My name is Rahul Yadav, aged 27 years and son of Raju Yadav. I am a native of village Shah Bala Pench, Mall Godown road in Kasganj district. My family comprises my parents, 3 brothers and a sister.

On January 29, 2018, when we three brothers were at home, around 11 pm, a large posse of policemen arrived at our place and started knocking at our doors vigourously. We got terrified as to who could have arrived at such late hours. I was literally trembling in fear, especially when they started shouting mine and my father’s names. However, I collected some courage and opened the door. About 20-25 cops immediately started rushing in as soon as the door opened. I was petrified on seeing so many cops. When I asked them about the whole matter, they started using foul language and said the IG had called for us. When I asked about the reason, they said they would interrogate us. They pulled us three brothers by the collar. When I again sought to know the reason for our rounding up, they tersely said that the IG had summoned us. Soon, the IG also came to the spot. I even asked him the reason for the police action, but he did not reply. Although, we were crying profusely, but the IG or the cops did not show any mercy and we two brothers were brought to the police station as we were criminal elements.

I told them repeatedly that I was an activist with the human rights Jannigrani Samiti, but the IG said it does not matter even as he also used foul language. At that time, I was only reflecting that we had always helped other people and we had not caused any harm to anybody to deserve this. We two brothers had to spend 3 days in jail and we were absolutely clueless of the probable reason. Our family was also worried about me and we couldn’t comprehend what to do next. Apart from us brothers, our father was also kept in the lockup. My elderly mother and sister were left alone in the house during that time. They spent their days crying and worrying for us continuously.

None in my family had even seen the face of the police station and therefore, the visit to jail was a big blot to our family’s honour and dignity, we surmised. When, we were in the police station, my father and my brother Nishant Yadav were produced before the IG around 12: 30 pm. While, my brother was beaten black and blue with belt, my father was also tortured mentally. We were also threatened and verbally abused. They said they would ruin our lives.

My brother Nishant returned around 6 am the next morning. We cried a lot then, while my father went missing. We were really vexed over his whereabouts. Then we got to know that he had been kept in custody at some other place. We spent our 3 days in jail. We were kept in such a place, which is not even fit for animals. Our younger brother Atul Yadav also became traumatic due to this unfortunate development. We have been in despair ever since. Atul could not even appear for his standard 12th examination. This incident has broken us from within and we are still clueless as to what should be done to emerge out of this crisis and get justice.

We just want that we should not be subjected to this harassment without any reason. The policemen, who are responsible for lodging the false case against us, should be taken to task and punished.

Interviewer      Puja & Jyoti
Victim             Rahul Yadav

Translated by Mr. Ashish Awasthi