Friday, August 9, 2019

“Police told accused that they would beat me till their baton breaks”

My name is Rajkumar Gond, aged 34 years and son of Bachnu Gond. I belong to the scheduled caste. I am married and have 2 kids. I run a small betel shop for livelihood. I am a native of village Chauka Bhusaula under Cholapur police station in Varanasi district.

 On February 22, 2018, a few miscreants including Santosh Maurya son of late Dayaram Maurya, Sunil Maurya son of late Tribhuvan Maurya, Ramvachal Pal son of late Bhangi Pal, Vijay Lal Yadav son of Kanhaiya Lal Yadav and Gautam Kumar son of late Basantu tried to encroach upon my house. When I resisted, they started beating me.

 I sought police help by dialing 100. By the time, 2 cops came by four-wheeler, the miscreants had already fled. They informed the local police station and station house officer (SHO) Lalji Yadav called us to the police outpost. The miscreants were already present there, when I reached. The police officer immediately slapped me multiple times, used expletives and caste slur, saying I was trying to act like a toughie. The SHO threatened that he would beat me severely, so that I would be ashamed of showing my face to anybody. Due to his severe assault, two of my front teeth broke off. I could only cry in pain, while seeking to know the reason of his assault. I am still anguished recalling those tough moments.


The cops told the accused that they would beat me till their baton did not break. They continued to rain batons on my buttocks till it actually broke. I was writhing in pain and they were still beating me. At this, my family members begged for mercy and promised to do as directed. However, we were made to stay till 5 pm. I could not even sit. My trousers got torn from behind due to the assault. The cops threatened me that if we complained elsewhere, they would implicate us in fabricated cases and put behind bars. They asked us to do as told. We were forced to write that our land had been divided. Our signatures were taken with coerce although cops did not sign it. I felt helpless and lacked the courage to oppose. I can never forget the day. That perception of police has implanted in my mind forever. Somehow, my family took me to hospital for treatment.



When I returned home, my wife started crying. That day, we did not cook food and there was total despair. I was bed ridden for many days. I had never been part of any police case in my life before. Reminiscing that dreadful day still makes me gloomy. Due to police excesses, we were shaken to the core and got scared to go anywhere for justice.



However, my father could not bear this and he complained to the SSP, but no action was taken against the guilty cops. My wife clicked the photographs of the blue mark on my back due to serious internal injuries. The incident has bred a strange sense of desolation and insecurity in me.



Since then, the accused keep a watch on us. They have become emboldened owing to police inaction in the case. We fear for our life now. The police had kept us confined in the police station till the miscreants did not erect their boundary wall on our land. The local police did not help us. Now, I am worried for my family. I cannot sleep, now do I not feel like going out except for work. The police acted in the interest of the accused. I am wandering for justice. But, I trust the almighty for getting justice. I have still not given up and will fight for justice.



I want action against those who harassed my family. Penal action should be taken against them, so that I get justice.



Interviewer      Farhat Shaba Khanam

Victim             Rajkumar Gond

Translated by Mr. Ashish Awasthi