Sunday, January 2, 2022

'The local police had not listened to us, therefore out of fear we did not go to the police station'

 'The local police had not listened to us, therefore out of fear we did not go to the police station'

 

My name is Ban Devi. I am 36 years old. My husband is Rakesh. I belong to Ghasiya (Scheduled Tribe) caste. I am uneducated; I work as a daily wage worker.

 

The date was January 22, 2021. I was coming back home from Banaras with ten laborers after working. My sister Jasmine was also with me. As I reached near to Mayorpur police station. I saw that goons Vinod and Baba's sons Jagpath Yadav were working on my land with many laborers. Seeing the work being done on my land, I stopped there with my sister. At that time it was half past seven in the evening. I told those people that “this is my land and they should stop their work. I have registered you fifteen feet of land adjacent to it. That's yours.” On hearing this, both the brothers present on the spot started swearing at us using casteist remarks. Before I could say something, those people pushed me and my sister Jasmine on the ground and started beating us badly with sticks. Somehow escaping from them, I called the police number 112 and asked for help.

 

But the police did not come to the spot. The bullies called the local police station. Four to five policemen came. We were crying and asking for help. But those people did not listen to me. In front of them, the bullies pulled my sister's and my sari. Vinod Yadav tore my blouse and snatched forty thousand rupees of laborers and my Nokia mobile. I kept telling them that “this is not our money, it is the hard earned money of the laborers, give it back.” But he did not listen to one.

 

Being helpless in the same condition, we started to go back home home crying. There were injuries all over our back, legs and body. Somehow both of us reached home. We kept moaning in pain all night long. In the morning, we- both the sisters - went to the Myorpur Primary Health Center for medicine and medical check-up. The doctor told us to bring the police, then only there will be a medical examination and treatment. The local police did not listen to us, because of this we did not go to the police station out of fear. I have appealed to IG sir, DIG and SP sir for help in this regard. On which the SP said, “we have sent it to the CO sahib for investigation. Get your treatment and medical check-up done from the district hospital. A red slip was found from there.”

 

At the same time,the  SP had said that the construction work on my land would stop. But the work did not stop, the work continued day and night. We went to the district hospital for medical and treatment. The doctor asked us for six thousand rupees. We said “sir, we are poor dalit women. we work for our stomach by working. From where will you get so much money?” The doctor did not listen to me and scolded me and drove me away. Till now there has been no statement from the CO. Nobody is listening to our complaints.

 

The whole body still aches due to the beatings of the bullies. Afraid to go anywhere whenever I sleep, the whole incident appears in front of my eyes and I wake up in panic. Whatever they did to me is wrong. I am sorry that till date we have not been heard.

 

I want that strictest action should be taken against the accused so that I get justice.