Sunday, January 2, 2022

"The police said that no one will come to save you here, you guys are Muslims, you throw stones at people"

"The police said that no one will come to save you here, you guys are Muslims, you throw stones at people" 


My name is Ziaul Haq. I am 24 years old. My father is Mainuddin. I work as a weaver. We are five brothers and two sisters, in which I am at number four. My address is House No-N15/309 Mohalla Julaha, Thana-Bhelupur, District-Varanasi.
On December 21, 2019, at around 4 pm, I was coming from the roadside. People took out a procession in protest against CAA. What happened after that I don't know. Later, it was found that there were stampedes there. That night I slept after eating and drinking at home. Abbu opened the door after hearing knocking on the door of the house at around 12.15 o'clock. I also woke up. On hearing that it was the police, I ran away in fear before they entered my house. The police showed my father some photos on the mobile. My father recognized me and said he is my son. On hearing this, the police entered my house and started looking for me. When they did not find me downstairs, they went upstairs and knocked on my elder brother Ziaur Rahman's door.


My brother opened the door and came out. Without saying anything, the three policemen went inside his room. At that time my sister-in-law and her son were present in the room. Those people searched my entire house. By not finding me those policemen came down and started taking my younger brother Mubarak. My family asked: "why are they taking him?" They responded, "we will not leave him until your son is present. We are taking him to the Bajardiha post." As soon as I came to know about this, I went to the Bajardiha post.

 

After that, the police released my brother. The police took up the baton to beat me, the in-charge immediately stopped them and asked to take me outside. not inside the station. Then the police handcuffed me and took me to Manduadih police station. It all sounded very strange. The police were taking me like a criminal. I was worried about it, as it felt like I was being arrested unnecessarily. 


The police took me to the Maduadih police station and locked me up. A man was already present in the lockup. I felt very strange in lockup. I was feeling anxious. The lockup was very dirty. I could not understand where the smell of urine was coming from. Later, I was given a blanket. It was very cold, the whole body was trembling. The blanket also smelled bad. Somehow I spent the night crying. I was missing home a lot. In the morning I thought that I will be released from the lock-up.  But it did not happen, I remained kept inside. I kept looking at the door of the lockup hungry and thirsty. The afternoon had passed, I did not get anything to eat. 

Due to not eating, I started having a stomachache. Whenever I went to the door and asked for something to eat and drink, the police would console me: "Don't worry, it's coming." For about three o'clock I went without eating and drinking. Then in that condition, I was taken out of the lockup and taken to Bhelupur police station. In the police station, the police were identifying by showing the photo in the mobile. They asked me to recognize it, in order to be released. But I did not know anyone from the photo. 


The policemen took me to the back of the police station. They grabbed my hand and started beating me with a stick.   They were hitting me on my thigh and butt. They were swearing at me. I was in pain and shouting: "Ya Allah! Ya Allah!"

 

The police said that this will not work here. No one will come to save you here. You people are Mia (Muslims) and hit on the head by throwing stones. I said, #sir, I did not do anything, I was just passing through there."
The police were not ready to accept this. They were constantly beating me. After hitting 20-25 sticks, they started taking me to the nearby government hospital. It was hurting a lot. I was not able to walk, as there was swelling in my feet and buttocks. My medical examination was done there. The police said that our injury was caused by a riot. I was very sad to hear this. After coming from there, I was fed two or two samosas and taken to the court. From there I was sent to Chowkaghat Jail at around 7.30 pm. It was very painful for me.


I never thought that I would witness such a day in my life. I was feeling very sorry. I went to jail like a living corpse. I was kept in barrack no. 10. There was a very strange atmosphere. I was suffocating in the barracks. I was so anxious that I felt that my life will be over. I was missing my parents a lot every night. Got food but didn't feel like eating it. I was panicking all the time. The family members came to meet me. Seeing my condition, got a meeting done by paying one thousand rupees. I stayed in this barracks for 12 days. After that, I was sent to barrack number five. There was no place to set foot. I spent the whole night sitting there and asked to change the barracks. Two hundred rupees were taken for changing the barracks in the jail. After that I was sent to barrack number nine. I found someplace there. But, my state of mind remained the same that I had not committed any crime, yet I was a prisoner there. The police have filed a case of sedition against me, which is a quite serious charge. Despite the fact, that I did not oppose anyone, I am in jail. Every moment was painful for me. 

 

With the help of some responsible people and PVCHR, I was released on bail after 25 days. I came home and was happy to see my family members. I do not have words to describe that feeling. I am thankful to all those who helped us.
But still remembering all that, there is a strange nervousness/anxiety. I fear that the police may arrest me again. I can't sleep with this anxiety all night long. The people of the house are worried. My parents are worried since I went to jail. I keep thinking about my future. 


I want that whatever baseless serious allegations have been made against me, I should get rid of them so that justice can be done for me and my family.